I hope you are all having a good (dry!) weekend! :)
Thank you to so many people who came out to the bottle drive on Saturday. We've had a LOT of bottle drives over the years and this had to have been the WORST weather ever. Spectrum kids were amazing and, despite being a little cold and wet, raised $1500. Thank you to all of the parents that came out to support this fundraiser and to drive. These would not be successful without your hard work and we appreciate your time.
Thanks to everyone who sold Apple Pies this year! The Band Parents Association is busy organizing orders and we'll have numbers soon. It was great to see so many kids turning in orders. Our top 3 sellers will be announced on Saturday October 5th during the pie making day (Prizes from Future Shop and iTunes). We hope to see lots of you out to help. It's really an amazing event! Not JUST because of the pie making but because of the team building and camaraderies that start to form between kids in all of the grades.
Musically, all classes and performing bands have been doing an excellent job. Keep it up, folks! Continued encouragement to practice at home is always appreciated.
Here's what we have on the go:
1.) Band Classes – No change to schedule.
Grade 9s – Band Class
Grade 10s – PE
Grade 11s/12s – English/Spare
2.) Band 9/10 Practice Cards – Week 3 can be submitted for marking. On to week 4 now.
3.) Morning/Lunch Rehearsals – No change to schedule.
4.) Requirements For Term 1 – Term 1 Requirements (Playing test material, scale studies, exercises) have been distributed to all of the band classes and jazz bands. These are due by Monday, October 21st. Students can submit these in the following ways: a.) Perform them in class for me in front of their peers. B.) Perform them for me in private when I'm not teaching. C.) Submit them on a flash drive, data stick, DVD or CD. D.) Upload them to the band website.
Go to the band website Requirements Page to upload your video/audio files and to download PDF copies of the required materials: http://spectrumbandvictoria.weebly.com/requirements--online-submission.html
5.) Pit Orchestra – Will start next Wednesday (October 9th) at 3:15pm – 4:45pm
6.) Uniform Sewing Nights – Uniform sewing/alteration nights will continue this Wednesday from 6:00pm – 8:00pm in the Band Room. Thanks to everyone that came out last week to help!
7.) Notes for "The Great Apple Pie Event" – Saturday October 5th, 9:00am in the School Cafeteria
- The event groups students and parents into stations and we start putting pies together in an assembly line fashion. We work until the last pie is completed. It's a lot of fun!
- We need LOTS of students and parents out on Saturday to make this event run smoothly.
- You are welcome to bring your own peelers, corers (if that's even a word? HA!), cutting boards, knives, bowls, etc. but PLEASE LABLE THE ITEMS THAT YOU BRING.
- A hot dog lunch will be provided by the Band Parents Association.
- The culinary arts kitchen is off limits to students.
- Pie order pick-ups will start at Noon on Saturday, with the final pick-up being on Sunday from 10am-12pm. Please make arrangements to pick up and deliver the pies that you have pre-sold (we will give you copies of your order forms to help with delivering). There is no storage available at the school after the weekend. Pies are assembled but NOT cooked. This way your customers can cook or freeze them at their leisure.
- We are in need of APPLE DONATIONS – Please email me if you are able to contribute. Ideally, it would be great if donations could arrive on Friday so that the band room doesn't smell like a fruit stand – if you have to bring in early that's fine though. :) If you have trees that need picking, let me know! We can arrange teams of kids/parents to help with picking. Size/quantity/type of apple doesn't matter. We'll take ANYTHING. :)
If you have questions about the event please contact our Band Manager, Carol Davis by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
That's it! Looking forward to another week of music. As always, don't hesitate to ask any questions.