I hope you all had a restful and relaxing long weekend! Happy (belated) Easter!
Congratulations to our Jr. and Sr. Concert Bands for their performances at the Vancouver Island Concert Band Festival! The Jr. Band earned a ranking of “Superior Minus” (the majority of marks in “Superior” and a few in “Excellent”) and the Sr. Concert Band earned a ranking of Superior! I am incredibly proud of everyone for their hard work and diligence preparing for the festival. The repertoire sounded great and we came home with some new approaches and ideas for rehearsals. Bravo, everyone! A big thank you to our chaperones: Jacquie, Alison, Russ, Liz, and Barb for making this festival trip possible and for providing a high standard of care for all students!
Re: Last weekend’s Raffle Ticket Blitz:
Thank you to everyone that helped sell raffle tickets and supervise at Tillicum Mall on Saturday. Thank you to Cheryl Bowes for organizing the blitz with mall administration and to Nancy Wong for organizing all the tickets the came in!
You ended up selling 780 tickets and got $67.20 in donations, with a number of people inquiring about New Orleans Night. Megan Parker sold 11 books by herself! Bravo, team!
***From The Band Parents Association: "Thank You to all the students for coming out to sell tickets on Saturday! Your fun and enthusiasm was contagious and your politeness didn’t go unnoticed. It is obvious how proud you are of the Spectrum Band program. Working with you was a pleasure, it was great seeing you all in action.”***
Here’s what we have on the go this week…
1.) Band Classes in Period 1 and 2:
Tuesday – Band 11/12 in Period 2, Band 9 in Period 1
Wednesday - Band 10 in Period 1
Thursday – Band 11/12 in Period 2, Band 9 in Period 1
Friday – Band 10 in Period 1, Band 11/12 in Period 2.
Band 9/10 Practice Cards - Turn in Week 30 for marking. Continue recording for Week 31.
2.) Morning, Lunch, After School Rehearsals:
Tuesday – Sr. Jazz Band at 7:30am, Jr. Jazz Band at Lunch, None.
Wednesday – Marching Band at 7:30am, Sr. Jazz Band at Lunch, None.
Thursday - Jr. Jazz at 7:30am, Sr. Jazz at Lunch, Pit Orchestra (ALL) from 3:15pm-5:00pm
Friday - Jr. Concert Band at 7:30am, None, New Orleans Jazz Event Set-up at 2:00pm.
3.) A Touch of New Orleans Jazz Night – THIS Friday – 7:00pm in the Old Gym
I hope you are excited for our annual Jazz and Dessert night! The jazz bands are getting ready to swing and rock the night away and our delectable desserts will be “on point” again this year. Admission is $10 per person (includes dessert, beverage and all of the entertainment) and tickets can be purchased at the door. It’s a great night of music. If you haven’t been to this event before, you will be impressed by your kids!
Our raffle prizes are awesome ("Family Outings", "Just For Me", and “Life Essentials" Packages)! ALSO, there will be a SILENT AUCTION so don’t forget to bring your cheque books.
- UNSOLD RAFFLE TICKETS ARE NOW VERY OVERDUE! Please sell them or return them on Tuesday 3pm!
- ALL band students are involved with this event. Yes. This IS mandatory for all grade 9 to 12 students.
- Jazz Band members will be performing throughout the night.
- Non-Jazz Band students should have signed up for a shift by now. We are short servers on the first service shift (6:45pm - 8:00pm)
- Shifts are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Students can choose between: helping with set-up in the gym between 2pm and 4pm, the first service shift (waiting tables, running desserts, coffee/tea service) from 6:45pm to 8pm, the second service shift (clearing tables, coffee/tea service, clean-up) from 7:45pm to 9pm, and the tear down shift (cafeteria clean-up, gym and band room clean-up) from 8:45-10pm.
- If parents are able to help with set-up or helping students prep desserts, please let me know.
- A more detailed running order will be emailed out on Wednesday afternoon.
4.) Band Bottle Drive #6 - Saturday, April 29th.
Our next Bottle Drive is on April 29th from 9am - 1pm in the school parking lot. We are still in need of lots of students and several parents to make this fundraiser a success. Students can sign up on the band room door. Thank you for your ongoing support of our fundraising efforts!
Have a great week, everyone!