Band students soared through another BUSY week at Spectrum!
- Congratulations to the Jr. Concert Band for their performance at our joint MusicMonday performance with Marigold Elementary! The audience was really delighted by the band’s performance and we have received several letters from Marigold students and staff expressing appreciation for the band’s performance. :)
- Spectrum hosted a Grade 6 Band Festival on Thursday. The middle school bands that attended played very well! Additionally, we had a number of OUR band students volunteering as festival assistants, band escorts, and stage crew. Thank you to everyone that helped make the festival a success!
- The Sr. Concert Band performed on Thursday night in the Theatre and did an excellent job on a challenging program of Grade 4-5 pieces! Bravo, everyone! Thanks for your hard work in preparing for this concert. :)
- We have received word that Tutzing Highschool in Germany (which we performed at while on tour) was so impressed by the Tour Band’s performance that they are dedicating two pages of their yearbook to Spectrum’s performance and visit! Wow! Never underestimate the impact that music and teamwork have on people. ;-)
- Thank you and congratulations to Ms. Cable on the completion of her student teaching practicum! I think everyone really enjoyed working with her in her 4 months at the school and we wish her all the best at the start of her teaching career!
Here’s what we are up to this week…
1.) Band Classes:
Monday – Band 10
Tuesday – Band 9 in Period 1, Band 11/12 in Period 2.
Wednesday – Band 10 in Period 1.
Thursday – BAND 9 PE MAKE UP DAY (Bring PE Strip), Band 11/12 in Period 2.
Friday – Band 10 in Period 1, Band 11/12 in Period 2. ***Please note, our traditional “Hallway Parade” will be held at 8:30am today.
**Practice Cards for Band 9/10: Turn in Week 31. Now on Week 32!
2.) Morning/Lunch/After School Rehearsals:
***Note: As we run up to the Victoria Day Parade, there will be Marching Band practices at 7:30am EVERY MORNING THIS WEEK. Absences SEVERELY HINDER the success of the band. In addition, there will be mandatory section practices (“sectionals") as listed below. Participation will be factored into Term 4 marks. A note from a parent is required to be excused from a sectional. ***
Monday – MARCHING BAND at 7:30am, Jr. Jazz at Lunch, Marching Band Low Brass/Low Woodwind Sectional 3:10pm-3:40pm.
Tuesday – MARCHING BAND at 7:30am, Jr. Jazz at Lunch/Marching Band Trumpet Sectional in Theatre at Lunch, Marching Band Upper Woodwind Sectional 3:10pm-3:40pm.
Wednesday – MARCHING BAND at 7:30am, Sr. Jazz at Lunch, Marching Band Drumline Sectional 3:10pm-3:40pm
Thursday – MARCHING BAND at 7:30am, Sr. Jazz at Lunch (Followed by Grade 8 Day Set-up and Performance), Marching Band Alto Sax Sectional 3:10pm-3:40pm.
Friday – MARCHING BAND at 7:30am, Marching Band Trombone Sectional at Lunch, None.
3.) Sr. Jazz Band performs for Grade 8 Day on Thursday, May 14th
Sr. Jazz will be performing at 12:45 on Thursday in the our Grade 8 transition day. Uniforms are not required. Please make sure you attend Wednesday and Thursday’s rehearsals to rehearse “Uptown Funk” for the Grade 8’s. More details to follow.
4.) UPCOMING: Victoria Day Parade – Monday, May 18th
Please read the “Parade Instructions” document. It contains VITAL information for the Victoria Day Parade next Monday.
Remember to take you instrument, flags, banners, drums, cymbals, and harnesses home with you on Friday after school.
We have a WEEKEND PRACTICE on Sunday, May 17th at TILLICUM MALL PARKING LOT (Old Navy/Safeway Side) starting at 6:00pm and running until 7:00pm (***NOTE: That this is no longer at Spectrum and uniforms are NOT required).
Meet at 7:45am at Mayfair Mall in Section C-47 on May 18th in full uniform. Look for large cardboard signs with the letters and numbers on them!
***COLOUR PARTY: We are in desperate need of non-band students (girls only) to carry flags in front of the band. Please let me know if anyone in interested in assisting with this (grads, middle school students, sisters are all welcome!).
Thanks, everyone! I continue to be so impressed by all of your efforts and achievements in music. Your dedication to what we do is inspiring and appreciated.
See you soon!